Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Stocksbridge Park Steels
Marske United
Sat 12 Jan 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Full time Attendance 107

Stocksbridge Park Steels 0-0 Marske United


On the balance of the play, a draw was probably a fair result with neither team quite doing enough to win the game in a game where the only real winner was the wind.


Stocksbridge: Hall, Lemon, Coleman, Charlesworth, McFadyen, Fielding, Rhodes,
Langton, Ruthven, Wiles (Saeed), Swinburn (Litchfield)
Subs (not used): Whitham, Thompson, Hilton

Marske: Mewitt, Martin, Rowbotham, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Waters
(Fairley), Gott, Round, Owens, O’Sullivan
Subs (not used): Brockbank, Plant, Hillerby, Owen

Marske’s winless run stretched to 7 games as neither side could break the deadlock
in a game completely ruined by a strong wind. With Robert Dean requiring an
operation meaning he will be out for up to 4 weeks, Marske secured 2 goalkeeper
signings prior to the game. Into the squad came ex-Coventry City keeper Sam
Naylor who had been playing in Sweden for GIF Sundsvall and Huddersfield Town
academy keeper Luke Mewitt, who signed on loan until the end of April. After both
impressed in training on Thursday, manager Carl Jarrett had a tough choice who to
put into the starting line-up but opted for Mewitt. Marske returned to a 3-5-2
formation after trying a flat back four the previous Saturday with Matty Waters
joining Glen Butterworth and Craig Gott in midfield with Curtis Round partnering
Jamie Owens up front.
The most controversial moment of the game arrived with just 3 minutes on the
clock. A mass scramble in the box saw the ball turned towards goal; with the home
players appealing for a goal, the assistant referee, who was in a great position,
ruled that the ball hadn’t crossed the line and play continued. Steels were on the
front foot in the opening exchanges, with a strong wind behind them. A minute
later, a short corner found Alex Wiles, who saw his shot deflected for a corner.
Wiles then fired wide from distance before Adam Wheatley was penalised 30 yards
from goal and the ensuing free kick from Scott Ruthven went just wide. Mewitt
was called into action for the first time on 23 minutes, saving well from Ruthven.
Marske’s first chance of the game arrived 3 minutes later when Butterworth played
a sublime through ball to Round who raced to the edge of the box but his shot was
just too close to Edward Hall who saved well. Marske were finding a way into the
game and nearly took the lead on 27 minutes. A trademark long throw from Liam
O’Sullivan found Owens who showed great skill to create a shooting chance which
was well saved by Hall at the near post. Marske had an escape on 31 minutes when
a back header from O’Sullivan saw Mewitt hesitate slightly allowing Kane Swinburn
to get to the ball first but his half-volley went wide. Stocksbridge ended the half
the stronger with Tom Charlesworth shooting high over the bar before Ruthven’s
shot was well saved by Mewitt.
Half Time: Stocksbridge 0 Marske 0
With the wind behind them, it was anticipated that Marske would dominate the 2 nd
half and that is how it mainly transpired, though not before the Seasiders had an
escape on 52 minutes. A left wing cross was missed by Mewitt and Jordan Lemon
slid in but his shot went wide. A minute later, Gott and O’Sullivan combined, and
the latter saw his shot well parried by Hall. O’Sullivan was in the action again
moments later when his long throw saw Round and Owens combine; again Owens
displayed excellent skill to create the chance for himself but the shot was too
close to Hall, who saved. Owens came even closer too breaking the deadlock just
before the hour mark when a Butterworth cross was met by the head of the striker
but somehow Hall got a hand to the ball and tipped it onto the post. The game
then became fractious with 3 bookings in close succession. First, Liam McFadyen
was cautioned, presumably for dissent and he was quickly followed Charlesworth

and then Waters, who was correctly booked by referee Dave Holbrook, with Steels
players surrounding the ref and demanding a red card. With 20 minutes left,
Callum Martin fired well wide and a minute later Marske made their only change
with James Fairley replacing Waters as Marske switched to a 3-4-3 formation. On
74 minutes, Marske were caught out by a quick free kick but Ruthven headed wide,
though Mewitt appeared to have the header covered. Two minutes later, Fairley
showed great skill to create a chance for himself after patient build-up on the
right; however, the sub shot to the near post and only found the side netting. As
the game entered the last 10 minutes, there were 2 more bookings. First, Ben
Rhodes was booked for cynically fouling Owens as Marske were breaking. He was
followed into the book by O’Sullivan who was booked for kicking the ball away. As
the game entered injury time, Round saw a shot from 12 yards superbly blocked by
a Steels defender and a minute later Owens headed a Round corner wide as the
game finished goalless.
Full Time: Stocksbridge Park Steels 0 Marske United 0

On the balance of the play, a draw was probably a fair result with neither team
quite doing enough to win the game in a game where the only real winner was the
wind. The Supporters’ Club Man of the Match was close between Adam Wheatley
and Curtis Round with Round just winning it.

Team selection

Mewitt, Luke Mewitt, Luke
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Rowbotham, Josh Rowbotham, Josh
Martin, Callum Martin, Callum
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
Gott, Craig Gott, Craig
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Waters, Matty Waters, Matty
Owens, Jamie Owens, Jamie
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis

League round up

Other East Division results

AFC Mansfield
Pickering Town
Gresley FC
Morpeth Town
Loughborough Dynamo
Sheffield FC


Loading comments

Club sponsors