Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Marske United
Lincoln United
Sat 19 Jan 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Full time Attendance 178

Marske United 5-0 Lincoln United


Marske ended their 7-game winless run in emphatic style with a 5-0 victory against Lincoln United.


Marske: Mewitt, Martin, O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Fairley
(Rowbotham), Gott (Hillerby), Plant, Owens (Waters), Round
Subs (not used): Brockbank, Watson

Lincoln: Emery, Blunden, Matthews, Wright, Jacklin, Wilson, Norris, Williams
(Smith), King (Wightwick), Hutchinson (Garrick), Cotton
Sub (not used): Dye

Marske manager Carl Jarrett opted for a change in formation from the team
victorious against Thornaby in the North Riding Senior Cup, opting for a 4-2-3-1
formation with James Fairley, Brad Plant and Curtis Round the three behind Jamie
Owens. Matty Waters dropped to the bench alongside Josh Rowbotham as Adam
Wheatley and Andrew May continued at centre back. Lincoln gave a debut to Gary
King up front but were without the hard-working Paul Grimes, who had given the
Marske defence a real test at the reverse fixture.
The first chance of the game came on 3 minutes for the visitors. Referee Shane
Sugden penalised Wheatley for a foul, when it looked the other way. A low free
kick from Johnathan Williams was pushed away by Luke Merritt and the rebound
was fired across the face of goal. Despite the shaky start, the hosts took the lead
on 12 minutes. Callum Martin played a lovely ball to Plant who beat his marker and
slid a cross into the 6-yard box where Owens was on hand to slide the ball past
Lincoln keeper Michael Emery. Lincoln countered and Robert Norris tried his luck
from 30 yards but Merritt did superbly to tip the ball over the bar. The first
booking of the game arrived on 16 minutes when Michael Jacklin was cautioned for
an elbow to the back of Fairley’s head, but the resulting free kick came to
nothing. It was 2-0 on 21 minutes when Glen Butterworth set up Craig Gott who
cut inside and fired a shot off the bar from the edge of the box; the ball dropped
to Owens who manoeuvred the ball onto his left foot but Emery made an excellent
save, Plant missed the loose ball but Round didn’t and he fired home from close
range. Five minutes later, Fairley was fouled by Matthew Wilson; referee Sugden
tried to play a good advantage but then pulled the play back for a free kick, 27
yards from goal. Gott stepped up to take it, but his effort crashed off the crossbar.
As the half came to a close, Marske upped the ante looking for a third goal to kill
the game off. First, Fairley drew a routine save from Emery after a corner was
cleared to him and moments later Owens fired over the bar. On 45 minutes, Round
escaped his marker and pulled the ball back to Gott, on the edge of the box, who
fired wide when he could have taken a touch.
Half Time: Marske 2 Lincoln 0
Marske suffered a blow at the start of the half as Gott was unable to continue and
was replaced by David Hillerby. Marske started the 2 nd half as they ended the 1 st ,
on the offensive, with Round crossing to Owens who headed straight at Emery.
Seconds later, it should have been 3-0 as Plant broke the offside trap and raced
clear but put his shot too close to Emery who saved well. On 50 minutes, Owens
teed up Butterworth, but his shot was easily gathered by Emery. At the other end,
Sean Wright tried his luck, but his shot went high over the bar. Fairley and Martin
combined on the right but Fairley’s shot went over the bar. On 55 minutes, Lincoln
made a double change with King and Andrew Hutchinson replaced by Jack
Wightwick and Thomas Garrick. It was very nearly 3-0 on 56 minutes when Liam

O’Sullivan delivered a superb cross from the left which was brilliantly collected by
Round who saw his shot well saved by Emery. The rebound fell to Owens who
headed over the bar. However, Marske weren’t to be denied and it was 3-0 a
minute later. Lincoln struggled to clear their lines and there could have been a
foul from a Marske player but the referee played on allowing Plant to play the ball
to Owens who shot across Emery into the far corner with a scuffed shot which
found the net. Marske’s only booking of the game saw Fairley enter the referee’s
notebook for handball as he fell on the ball expecting a free kick to go his way
following a foul, however referee Sugden thought otherwise and cautioned the
Marske player. On 66 minutes, an Owens pass freed Fairley who beat three men
and played the ball inside to Butterworth who fired over. Butterworth was at the
heart of the game and involved in most Marske moves. Next, a quick break
involving O’Sullivan, Round and Plant ended with Butterworth curling a shot wide.
It was Butterworth again on 74 minutes, playing a great ball to Fairley who
volleyed the ball across goal to Plant, who just couldn’t get a full enough contact
on the ball. However, Plant wasn’t to be denied and made it 4-0 on 76 minutes
with Butterworth the creator. His pass found Fairley who saw his deflected cross
reach Plant, who had the simple task of volleying home from close range. It was 5-
0 just 3 minutes later with arguably the goal of the game. O’Sullivan played a
fantastic, flighted pass to Owens, who took the ball down with his first touch and
shot past the keeper with his second touch. A minute later, Owens left the field to
a generous round of applause from the crowd as he was replaced by Waters and
this was quickly followed by Rowbotham replacing Fairley as Marske switched to a
4-3-3 formation with Rowbotham in the centre of midfield with Butterworth and
Hillerby. In a rare foray forward for Lincoln, sub Garrick tried an overhead kick
which just went over the bar, before Waters tried the same effort for Marske, but
his effort went well wide as Marske secured their first league win of 2019 and, in
the process, overtook Lincoln in the table.
Full Time: Marske United 5 Lincoln United 0

This was an emphatic win for Marske, who belatedly got their 2019 started with
their first league win at the 4 th attempt. It was an excellent team performance
against a Lincoln team that never gave up and played the game in the correct
spirit throughout. The Supporters’ Club selected the whole team as the man of the
match, but honourable mentions go to Owens, O’Sullivan, Martin, Butterworth and
Fairley, who all had excellent games. However, my man of the match was Brad
Plant, who was a constant thorn in the side of the Lincoln defence with his direct

Team selection

Mewitt, Luke Mewitt, Luke
Martin, Callum Martin, Callum
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Fairley, James Fairley, James
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Gott, Craig Gott, Craig
Plant, Brad Plant, Brad
Owens, Jamie Owens, Jamie

League round up

Other East Division results

Gresley FC
Morpeth Town
Loughborough Dynamo
Pickering Town
Stocksbridge Park Steels
AFC Mansfield
Sheffield FC


Loading comments

Club sponsors