Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Brighouse Town
Marske United
Sat 26 Jan 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Full time Attendance 215

Brighouse Town 1-0 Marske United - Match Report


This was a poor game, with chances limited and arguably neither team did enough to earn a win.


Brighouse: Porter, Field, Wright, Jones (Heeley), Harris, Hurtley, Robinson
(Jenkinson), Haigh, Martin, Johnson (Ibrahim), Williams
Subs (not used): Kendall, Thomas

Marske: Mewitt, Rowbotham, O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Martin,
Hillerby, Waters (Brockbank), Owens, Round
Subs (not used): Gott, Clark, Ward, Watson

Marske had major selection problems in the lead-up to the game. Chay Liddle was
still suspended following his sending off against Loughborough Dynamo and he was
joined on the sidelines by James Fairley, Brad Plant and Craig Gott, who failed a
late fitness test. After the success of the 4-2-3-1 formation against Lincoln United,
manager Carl Jarrett was keen to retain the formation but had to move players
around with Josh Rowbotham coming into the team at right back which allowed
Callum Martin to move onto the right of the three behind Jamie Owens with Matty
Waters directly behind Owens. David Hillerby partnered Glen Butterworth in the
centre of midfield.

In blustery conditions, neither side really managed to get a proper foothold in the
game. On three minutes, the unfortunately named Tom Robinson tried his luck from
distance but his effort went high over the bar. Marske’s first chance arrived on 18
minutes but Waters also failed to hit the target firing over the bar, after being set
up by Butterworth. As the game reached the halfway point of the half, Marske had
a couple of half chances. Curtis Round played a short corner to Martin who crossed
to Waters, who couldn’t get enough power on his shot. Moments later, a Martin
cross was flicked on by Round but Owens was just unable to reach the ball. At the
other end, a long ball forward was flicked on to Gabby Johnson, who sliced his shot
wide. Marske’s best chance of the half came just before the half hour mark when
Waters stole the ball from Kurt Harris and raced towards goal but keeper Jordan
Porter was out quickly and smothered the shot. On 33 minutes, Andrew May lost
the ball to Johnson near the corner flag and the striker set up Robinson, who
chipped the ball just over the bar. Marske had a strong appeal for a penalty as
Adam Wheatley was clambered on at a set-piece but referee Danny Guest, waved
play on, despite it being one of those challenges which would have been a free
kick anywhere else on the pitch. The last act of the half saw Harris deservedly
booked for a foul on Round, with neither side coming close to breaking the

Half Time: Brighouse 0-0 Marske

The second half started in worsening conditions, as rain arrived to join the blustery
wind. On 54 minutes, a Butterworth shot was deflected for a corner before the key
moment of the game arrived a minute later. A ball from the back freed Aaron
Martin, who timed his run to perfection; Luke Mewitt, in the Marske goal,
hesitated slightly which allowed Martin to get to the ball first and he poked a shot
through the legs of the on-loan keeper to give the home side the lead. Marske
attempted to find a way back into the game and Rowbotham headed a Round cross
wide. Tom Haigh then fired wide from a cross from the tricky Tyler Williams
before, with 20 minutes left, Waters was cautioned for a foul on Harris, who
incurred the ire of the Marske bench for his reaction to the challenge. With the
clock showing 78 minutes, Owens tried his luck with a speculative effort from 30
yards but Porter saved with ease. A minute later, Marske made a change with Lee
Brockbank replacing Waters which meant a change in formation with Brockbank at
right back, Rowbotham at centre back and Wheatley moved up front to partner
Owens. On 82 minutes, Rowbotham made a superb block and from the rebound sub
Iwan Heeley fired over the bar. The home side should have been awarded a
penalty on 83 minutes when Brockbank appear to clearly foul a Brighouse player in
the box but referee Guest adjudged that the Marske player had won the ball. As
time was running out, Marske managed to put some pressure on the Brighouse
goal. First, a magnificent run from Owens saw him beat four Brighouse players but his
attempted chip was saved by Porter. With just a minute left, a goal-bound
Butterworth shot was superbly blocked by Sam Wright for a corner. The referee
signalled four minutes of injury time, which Brighouse managed to spend the last
minute of wasting time completely as communication between referee Guest and
his assistant broke down as the assistant was telling James Hurtley to move a free
kick back, which the Brighouse centre back did, only to be booked for time
wasting. To compound matters, the referee then blew for full time without adding
any additional time on while the game was stopped.

Full time: Brighouse 1-0 Marske

This was a poor game, with chances limited and arguably neither team did enough
to earn a win. However, the home side took one of the few chances to come their
way which was enough to keep them in 2 nd in the table and keep up the pressure on
leaders Morpeth. The Supporters’ Club man of the match vote was a close affair
with Andrew May just prevailing.

Team selection

Mewitt, Luke Mewitt, Luke
Rowbotham, Josh Rowbotham, Josh
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Martin, Callum Martin, Callum
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Hillerby, David Hillerby, David
Waters, Matty Waters, Matty
Owens, Jamie Owens, Jamie

League round up

Other East Division results

Gresley FC
Loughborough Dynamo
AFC Mansfield
Sheffield FC
Pickering Town
Stocksbridge Park Steels
Morpeth Town


Loading comments

Club sponsors