Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Cleethorpes Town
Marske United
Sat 2 Feb 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Full time Attendance 351

Cleethorpes Town 0-1 Marske United - Match Report


Marske edged a hard-fought encounter at the Linden Club which ensured they climbed four places up the table and in to 8 th place.


Cleethorpes: Richardson, Lowe, Topliss, Disley (Mascall), Walker, Donald,
Robertson (North), Flett, Batty (Vernon), Collins, Oglesby

Subs (not used): Gray, Boswell

Marske: Mewitt, Rowbotham, O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Martin,
Hillerby, Round, Owens (Waters), Fairley (Gott)

Subs (not used): Brockbank, Clark, Watson

Marske were able to welcome James Fairley back to the squad and he went
straight back into the starting eleven with Matty Waters dropping to the bench as
manager Carl Jarrett continued with a 4-2-3-1 formation. Craig Gott was only fit
enough for a place on the bench, so David Hillerby continued to partner Glen
Butterworth in the centre of midfield.
The game got off to a remarkable start with the woodwork hit 3 times in the first
12 minutes. Marske started off confidently though it was the home side who had
the first sight of goal on 3 minutes when a quick throw in caught the Marske
defence flat-footed and Jon Oglesby flashed a cross across the face of Luke
Mewitt’s goal. Two minutes later, Marske came agonisingly close to the opening
goal when a trademark effort from Fairley, from fully 40 yards, caught out the
back-peddling Owls keeper Theo Richardson but the ball hit the top of the bar and
went out for a goal kick. On 8 minutes, Marske hit the bar again; this time, Jamie
Owens played the ball to Fairley who in turn played a lovely ball into the path of
Curtis Round who fired a half-volley off the top of the bar. On 12 minutes, it was
the turn of the home side to hit the woodwork as the tricky Brody Robertson
outmuscled Andrew May near the by-line, cut inside and fired a shot against the
base of the post. After an explosive start, the game calmed down a little, though it
was Marske who edged the next 20 minutes. At the mid-way point of the half a
Round corner was only cleared back to the taker who showed lovely skill to beat
his man and flash the ball across the face of the goal but there was no Marske
player there to apply the finishing touch. Round then had a shot well blocked from
a neat flick from Callum Martin before the Owls had a small let-off just before the
half hour mark when a back header from Paul Walker went past Richardson but the
keeper did well to recover and retrieve the ball. On 34 minutes, referee Theo
Howard booked Josh Rowbotham for a foul on Robertson on the near touchline and
from the ensuing Cleethorpes attack, Marske had a lucky escape when a poor
punch from Mewitt went straight to Clee skipper Alex Flett who fired high and
wide. Marske had a golden chance to take the lead on 37 minutes when Martin
played the ball into the path of Round, 8 yards out, who drew a decent save from
Richardson, but should have scored. Four minutes later, a trademark long throw
from Liam O’Sullivan caused mayhem in the Owls box but none of Owens, Round or
Martin could get a decent shot away and the home side cleared.

Half Time: Cleethorpes 0-0 Marske

Marske suffered a blow at the start of the second half with Owens unable to
continue due to an ankle injury and he was replaced by Waters, as Marske
continued with a 4-2-3-1 formation. The first chance of the half fell to the home
side when a shot from Tim Lowe looked to be heading into the top corner until

Marske skipper Adam Wheatley got his head to the ball to deflect it for a corner.
On 53 minutes a shot from Josh Batty was saved at the near post by Mewitt. The
home side made their first change on 63 minutes with veteran striker Scott Vernon
replacing Batty. Marske’s second booking arrived on 67 minutes when Butterworth
was rightly booked for dissent though referee Howard wrongly penalised the
Marske midfielder for winning a header superbly in the centre of the pitch. With 20
minutes left, Marske were forced into a second change with Fairley injured and
unable to continue and he was replaced by Gott, who slotted in behind Waters in a
more advanced position than he normally plays in. Marske had a great chance to
take the lead on 72 minutes when Martin was left unmarked at the back post from
a deep Round corner but he headed wide. Cleethorpes made their second change
on 76 minutes with Robertson replaced by Danny North but the deadlock was
broken 3 minutes later with a goal of the season contender from Gott, who picked
up a partially cleared corner 30 yards from goal and from the right hand side of the
box curled a wonderful 25 yard shot over Richardson and into the top corner. The
goal certainly sparked the home side into life as they dominated the final 10
minutes of the game. First, Mewitt did superbly to tip a tantalising low free kick
around the post for a corner and then sub Luke Mascall, who had just replaced
Craig Disley, somehow managed to fire over the bar when left unmarked at the
back post. Lewis Collins fired wide from the edge of the box before the home side
had another good chance to equalise in the 3 rd minute of injury time when, with
everyone up including keeper Richardson, Oli Donald headed wide as Marske held
on to gain the 3 points.

Full time: Cleethorpes 0-1 Marske

An entertaining game was settled by a moment of class from sub Craig Gott as
Marske just about deserved the 3 points though the last 10 minutes saw the Owls
pile on the pressure without really testing Luke Mewitt in the Marske goal. The
Supporters’ club man of the match award went to the marauding Liam O’Sullivan
who had a great game at left back, though honourable mentions must go to David
Hillerby and Glen Butterworth in the centre of midfield, both of whom had
excellent games.

Team selection

Mewitt, Luke Mewitt, Luke
Rowbotham, Josh Rowbotham, Josh
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Martin, Callum Martin, Callum
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Hillerby, David Hillerby, David
Fairley, James Fairley, James
Owens, Jamie Owens, Jamie

League round up

Other East Division results


Loading comments

Club sponsors