Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Ossett United
Marske United
Sat 13 Apr 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Full time Attendance 378

Ossett United 4-0 Marske United - Match Report


Marske’s slim play-off hopes were finally extinguished on a day to forget in West Yorkshire.

Ossett: Souter, Burke, Chantler, Gay, Knowles (McQuade), Gregory, Priestley, Monkhouse,
Greaves (Corner), Basic, Khan (Chippendale)
Subs (not used): Foley, Porritt
Marske: Dean, Brockbank, O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Fairley, Gott, Hillerby
(Carling), Waters, Blackford
Subs (not used): Owens, Clark, Ward, Watson

Marske manager Carl Jarrett was without a number of players including
Callum Martin (injured), Chay Liddle (wedding), Damien Stevens (dropped out on the
morning of the game) and long term absentee Brad Plant. In addition, Jamie Owens
failed a fitness test meaning he was only fit enough for a place on the bench. Marske
lined up with David Hillerby, Craig Gott and Glen Butterworth in midfield with James
Fairley and Jack Blackford on either side of Matty Waters.

The opening minute was a sign of the day to come when Shiraz Khan picked the ball up
in midfield and advanced forward unchallenged but his shot was weak and lacked
accuracy, failing to test Robert Dean. On 5 minutes, an errant pass from Tyrone Gay, who
had an extremely shaky first half, went straight to Fairley, who tried his luck from 45
yards but his shot went high over the bar. Three minutes later a Gott free kick hit the
Ossett wall with the ball bouncing back to the midfielder but his curling shot was
comfortably saved by Brett Souter. Marske had a clearer sight on goal on 10 minutes
when a long throw from Liam O’Sullivan found Butterworth at the back post but the
midfielder took a touch, when a first time shot might have been a better option, and
saw his shot blocked. At the other end Andrew May did superbly to block a shot from
Khan and the winger came even closer to breaking the deadlock on 18 minutes, when he
turned Hillerby inside out but Dean saved well with his legs. With the clock showing 24
minutes, May was adjudged to have fouled Adam Priestley on the left wing. It was
arguably not even a foul and referee Akeel Ahmed rubbed salt into the wounds by
booking May. It got even worse for Marske when, from the resulting free kick, the ball
was delivered into the box and should have been a routine catch for Dean but the
keeper dropped the ball and then fouled an Ossett player with the referee awarding a
penalty and showing Dean a yellow card. Tom Greaves stepped up to take the penalty
and though Dean guessed the right way it was too accurate and gave the home side the
lead. It got even worse for Marske and Dean in particular on 29 minutes. Adam Wheatley
did well to win the ball but played it to O’Sullivan who lost the ball and fouled his man
just outside the box. The ensuing free kick was met by the head of James Knowles and
should have been a routine save for Dean but he spilled the ball, allowing Greaves a
simple tap in from 2 yards. With 5 minutes to half time, Butterworth won the ball in
midfield from Corey Gregory and passed to Waters who saw his shot deflected for a
corner by Gay. The resulting corner was played deep to Wheatley who retrieved the ball
and crossed to the back post where a stretching May prodded just wide, colliding with
the post in the process.

Half Time: Ossett 2 Marske 0

On 50 minutes, a superb tackle from Wheatley saw the referee unbelievably award
Ossett a free kick. James Burke stepped up to take it but his low effort went 2 yards
wide of the target. However, Ossett weren’t to be denied and it was 3-0 on 53 minutes.
Dean punched a left wing cross clear but the ball went straight to Gregory, on the edge
of the box, who headed into an empty net. On 56 minutes, Butterworth drove forward
but his shot was high and wide. Shortly after, Gott and Fairley combined to create a
chance for Waters, who saw his shot from the edge of the box well saved by Souter.
From the ensuing corner, Wheatley rose highest and powered a header towards goal but
Souter made an even better save and the ball was cleared. It was game well and truly
over on 66 minutes when a mistake from Hillerby allowed Greaves to go one on one with
Dean and the striker grabbed his hat-trick with a shot that went through the legs of
Dean. Five minutes later, Waters went down in the Ossett box and appeared to have
been fouled but the referee was unmoved. With 16 minutes left, Marske made their first
change with Leon Carling replacing Hillerby. Carling went up front as Marske swtiched to
a 4-4-2 formation. With Ossett content to sit back with the game won, Marske had a
couple of late chances to grab a consolation. First, Blackford fired over the bar from the
edge of the box before Blackford created a chance for Carling, who hooked wide from a
tight angle on a day to forget for the Seasiders.

Full Time: Ossett United 4 Marske United 0

Team selection

Dean, Robert Dean, Robert
Brockbank, Lee Brockbank, Lee
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
Fairley, James Fairley, James
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Gott, Craig Gott, Craig
Backford, Jack Backford, Jack
Hillerby, David Hillerby, David
Waters, Matty Waters, Matty

League round up

Other East Division results

Stocksbridge Park Steels
Gresley FC
AFC Mansfield
Morpeth Town
Pickering Town
Sheffield FC
Loughborough Dynamo


Loading comments

Club sponsors