Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Marske United
AFC Mansfield
Tue 9 Apr 19:45 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Full time Attendance 162

Marske United 3-1 AFC Mansfield


An impressive first half performance, which included a double for Jack Blackford, saw Marske win their second game in a row to cement 8 th place in the League table.


Marske: Dean, Brockbank (Wood), O’Sullivan, Hillerby, May, Wheatley, Fairley (Waters),
Gott, Blackford, Owens (Stevens), Round
Subs (not used): Carling, Watson

AFC Mansfield: White, Marsden, Dudley (Dawes), Buxton, Lawrence, Annable, Dear
(Froggatt), Ghaichem, Fearon, Broadhead (D’Laryea), Wall
Subs (not used): Jumma, Crosby

Manager Carl Jarrett was forced into three changes to the team that beat Wisbech the
previous Saturday, which included a late change to the scheduled team when Glen
Butterworth dropped out due to illness. David Hillerby, who was scheduled to play at
right back instead of the injured Callum Martin, moved into the centre of midfield
alongside Craig Gott with Lee Brockbank, returning from injury moving from the subs
bench to right back. With Chay Liddle unavailable, Jamie Owens returned to the starting
line-up with Curtis Round, Jack Blackford and James Fairley playing as a three behind
lone striker Owens.

Marske got off to a superb start, dominating the game in the opening exchanges. In just
the second minute, a short throw in from Liam O’Sullivan saw Gott return the ball back to
the left back, who delivered an excellent ball into the box, which was met by the head
of Andrew May but a deflection saw the ball go wide for a corner. Within a minute,
Round picked the ball up in midfield and his diagonal run saw him beat 4 AFC Mansfield
players but his his right foot shot from 12 yards went just wide. On 8 minutes, O’Sullivan
headed a Round cross over the bar before Marske missed a golden chance to take the
lead on 11 minutes with an archetypal route one move. Robert Dean’s long kick beat the
whole of the Marske defence and found Fairley clear on goal but his shot went into the
side netting. However, Marske weren’t to be denied and led on 13 minutes. Fairley was
the architect passing to Blackford who turned inside his defender and beat Bulls keeper
Jason White at the near post, via the woodwork. It was 2-0 just three minutes later with
Blackford again the scorer. Neat interplay in midfield ended with Owens threading the
ball through to Blackford, who had timed his run to perfection, with the former
Hartlepool United player sweeping the ball past White from just inside the box. It could
have been a 6 minute hat-trick for Blackford on 19 minutes when another long kick from
Dean found Blackford, who cut inside but his shot went well wide. The first caution of
the game arrived on 20 minutes. Full back Mark Dudley tried to usher the ball out of play
but Fairley kept the ball in play and raced towards goal before being unceremoniously
dumped to the ground just outside the box. Round took the free kick, playing the ball
short to Owens, who saw his low effort from 20 yards comfortably saved by White. Six
minutes later, Fairley nipped in-between 2 defender near the touchline and after what
seemed like a dozen step-overs, shot from 20 yards but White saved with ease. The
away side’s first sight of goal arrived on 29 minutes. A long throw from Liam Marsden
caused problems in the Marske box with the ball falling to Phil Buxton who prodded
weakly straight at Dean.

Half time: Marske 2-0 AFC Mansfield

The Bulls made a change at the start of the second half with Dudley, who had struggled
throughout the half, replaced by Charlie Dawes, with Jack Broadhead moving from
striker to centre half and Jordan Annable moving from centre back to left back in place
of Dudley. The second half started as the first half did with Marske well on top. First,
Gott fired over the bar before Brockbank played the ball to Owens, who tried a curling
shot from 20 yards, but White saved with ease. At the other end, Annable fired high and
wide before Buxton got closer to testing Dean, firing a low shot wide. On 55 minutes,
Gott was fouled and took the free kick himself, finding Adam Wheatley who headed the
ball square to Owens who fired wide with his unfavoured right foot. Just before the hour
mark, O’Sullivan was somewhat harshly penalised for a push just outside the box.
Cameron Dear took the free kick and found the giant frame of Julian Lawrence who
headed towards goal but Dean saved well. On 64 minutes, sub Dawes became the second
Bulls player booked, for a foul on Fairley before Dean was called into action again on 67
minutes. Another Dear free kick was met by the head of Ollie Fearon but Dean was equal
to his effort and tipped the ball over the bar. Just 2 minutes later, it was 3-0 to Marske
as another Dean long kick was superbly controlled by Owens who danced through the
AFC Mansfield defence, moved the ball onto his left foot and hit a shot with the outside
of his boot which White may have done better with, getting a hand to the ball but being
unable to prevent the ball dribbling into the net. However, just 2 minutes later the Bulls
got a lifeline back into the game when a deep cross from the left was met by Buxton
who beat Dean from a tight angle. Moments later, Owens outmuscled Broadhead on the
by-line but saw his shot from a tight angle miss the post by inches. On 78 minutes, Gott
and Fairley combined to set up Round who saw his right foot shot well saved by White.
Moments later, Fairley played the ball into the path of Owens, who saw his fierce shot
from 20 yards well pushed away by White. On 81 minutes, Marske made their first
change of the game with Matty Waters replacing Fairley, as Marske switched to a 4-4-2
formation. Two further changes followed two minutes later, with two players making
their return to Marske, with Gary Wood replacing Brockbank, who had played well on his
return to the team and Damien Stevens replacing Owens. Marske continued with a 4-4-2
formation with Waters and Stevens up front, with Hillerby moving to right back with
Wood partnering Gott in the centre of midfield. Despite the changes, Marske saw the
game out with ease, with the only hitch being a caution for Stevens for preventing the
taking of a quick free kick.

Full time: Marske 3-1 AFC Mansfield

This was a comfortable win for Marske which kept alive their extremely slim play off
hopes. The game was won in the first half, thanks to a brace from Jack Blackford, who
deservedly walked off with the Man of the Match award, as selected by the Supporters’

Team selection

Dean, Robert Dean, Robert
Brockbank, Lee Brockbank, Lee
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
Fairley, James Fairley, James
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Gott, Craig Gott, Craig
Backford, Jack Backford, Jack
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis
Hillerby, David Hillerby, David
Owens, Jamie Owens, Jamie

League round up

Other East Division results

Stocksbridge Park Steels
Pickering Town


Loading comments

Club sponsors