Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Marske United
Pontefract Collieries
Sat 16 Feb 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Full time Attendance 208

Marske United 1-1 Pontefract Collieries


This was an excellent advert for the division with both teams going for a win, which resulted in a thoroughly entertaining game, with a draw probably a fair result.


Marske: Dean, Martin, Rowbotham (Brockbank), Butterworth, May, Wheatley,
Fairley (Blackford), Hillerby, Waters, Liddle (Gott), Round
Subs (not used): Owens, Watson

Pontefract: Musselwhite, Greenhough, Smythe, Bailey (Brown), Picton, Clarke,
Redford, Cromack, Hey (Rothery), Guest, Dunn (Williams)
Subs (not used): Whitehouse, Jeffs

Marske manager Carl Jarrett was able to call upon goalkeeper Robert Dean for the
first time since January 5 th , following an operation. With Liam O’Sullivan on
holiday, Josh Rowbotham switched to left back with Callum Martin at right back.
With Craig Gott only fit enough for a place on the bench, the midfield three was
made up of Glen Butterworth, Chay Liddle and David Hillerby. Up front, James
Fairley and Curtis Round were on either side of Matty Waters, with Jamie Owens
only fit enough for the bench. Also on the bench was new signing Jack Blackford,
who impressed when he came on for the last 15 minutes at Buxton.

It was Colls who started the game the stronger. On five minutes, Michael Dunn beat
Andrew May in a tackle but his shot from the left-hand side of the penalty area
went well wide. Two minutes later, Adam Wheatley was penalised for a foul on
Vaughan Redford and from the resulting free kick Jack Greenhough hit a sweet
free kick but Dean was equal to it, saving well. At the other end, Fairley and
Waters combined on the right for Fairley to deliver a delightful cross, which was
just missed by Round. The first yellow card of the game arrived minutes later,
when Greenhough was booked for a poorly timed challenge on Rowbotham. On 13
minutes, the away side took the lead and it was a goal from nowhere, superbly
scored by the division’s top scorer Eli Hey, who hit a snapshot from 25 yards that
flew into the bottom corner. Marske countered and Round headed a Liddle cross
wide before Butterworth fired a shot well wide. Marske had a golden chance to
equalise at the midway point in the half. A superb cross from Round was met on
the volley by Waters who hit a fierce shot which, unfortunately for Marske, was
straight at Colls keeper Ryan Musselwhite, who saved well. With the clock showing
30 minutes Marske drew level; a swerving shot from Butterworth was only palmed
back into play by Musselwhite leaving the unmarked Waters the simple task of
slotting the ball into the net, with the away side appealing in vain for offside. The
goal gave Marske renewed belief and, on 37 minutes, Fairley went on a trademark
run, beating three men and racing into the box before his shot was blocked for a
corner. Marske suffered a blow seconds later when Rowbotham, who was ill, was
unable to continue and was replaced by Lee Brockbank, who had to slot in at left
back. A minute later, Butterworth fired well wide after a corner was only cleared
as far as him before, with half time approaching, Dunn showed great skill to leave
two Marske players on their backsides but May put in an excellent challenge to
prevent the Colls winger from shooting.

Half time: Marske 1-1 Pontefract

The second half started in a similar vein to the first with the away side on the
front foot. On 51 minutes, Wheatley was penalised on the right hand side and the
ensuing free kick was headed towards goal by a Colls player, possibly Jake Picton,
but Dean was on hand to get down low and make a fantastic save. Dean was called
into action again on 57 minutes, doing well to tip over a shot from Nick Guest.
Moments later, Martin was rightly booked for a foul on Redford, though the
reaction of the Colls bench was a tad over the top, with a caution the correct
decision. Referee Alex Clark was busy, booking Dunn for dissent after an offside
decision went against Guest. Dean was the busiest player on the pitch, next saving
well from Redford. At the other end, Marske had a golden chance to take the lead
on 66 minutes when a flick from Fairley sent Round one on one with the keeper but
his touch was just too heavy, forcing him to shoot and Musselwhite did well to
deflect the ball behind for a corner. Seconds later, Marske made a double change
with Liddle and Fairley replaced by Gott and Blackford. On 73 minutes, a foul from
Butterworth in back-play led to a booking for the Marske schemer and from the
resulting free kick, Greenhough fired high over the bar. Four minutes later,
Butterworth and Brockbank combined on the left to set up Round but he couldn’t
keep his shot down and it went just over the bar. With the game entering the last
5 minutes Blackford showed neat skills to create a shooting space but his effort
went well wide. The ex-Shildon man came much closer to scoring on 87 minutes,
when he showed lovely feet to get the ball onto his left foot before firing a shot
that cannoned off the post. Moments later Cody Cromack was booked for a poor
challenge on Wheatley, that could have resulted in a red card. With the game
entering the 90 th minute, Marske really should have drawn level. A cross from the
left was met by the head of Round but Musselwhite saved well, the ball dropped to
Blackford on the by-line who saw his cross blocked by the hand of a prostrate Colls
defender but referee Clark waved play on and the ball dropped to Waters and then
Butterworth, both of whom saw their shots cleared off the line, as Marske had to
make do with a point, which was probably a fair result overall.

Full time: Marske 1-1 Pontefract

This was an excellent advert for the division with both teams going for a win,
which resulted in a thoroughly entertaining game, with a draw probably a fair
result. The Supporters’ Club man of the match went to returning goalkeeper
Robert Dean, who made three excellent saves in the game.

Team selection

Dean, Robert Dean, Robert
Martin, Callum Martin, Callum
Rowbotham, Josh Rowbotham, Josh
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Fairley, James Fairley, James
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Hillerby, David Hillerby, David
Liddle, Chay Liddle, Chay
Owens, Jamie Owens, Jamie

League round up

Other East Division results

AFC Mansfield
Loughborough Dynamo
Morpeth Town
Sheffield FC
Pickering Town
Gresley FC
Stocksbridge Park Steels


Loading comments

Club sponsors