Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Marske United
Wisbech Town
Sat 6 Apr 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Full time Attendance 224

Marske United 2-1 Wisbech Town


After the disappointing defeat at home to Brighouse in midweek, Marske manager Carl Jarrett gave the players a chance to redeem themselves, naming an unchanged starting eleven, with the returning Jamie Owens having to be satisfied with a place on the b


Marske: Dean, Martin (Hillerby), O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Blackford
(Owens), Gott (Waters), Fairley, Liddle, Round
Subs (not used): Carling, Watson

Wisbech: Connell, Maddison, Kebble, Fairweather (Edge), Marshall, Millson, McQuaid
(Nkala), Setchell, Frew, Hilliard, Gale
Sub (not used): Swan

Marske started the game on the front foot and nearly went ahead on seven minutes when a
pull-back from Callum Martin found James Fairley, who tried a cheeky back-heel which
was deflected for a corner. Marske took the lead five minutes later when a corner from
Martin found the unmarked Andrew May six yards out and he powered a header past
James Connell. May had another chance on 14 minutes when he met a cross form Liam
O’Sullivan but Connell saved with ease. On 16 minutes, Wisbech were unable to clear a
Marske set piece and a ball was delivered back towards the Wisbech box which Adam
Wheatley picked up and played in O’Sullivan who in turn, passed to the overlapping
Curtis Round who saw his shot from a tight angle well saved by Connell. From the
resulting corner, Wheatley headed wide though referee Jamie Cann awarded a corner to
Marske which was cleared as far as Martin who saw his looping shot go just wide. On 26
minutes, Wisbech equalised when Danny Setchell was fouled in the box by May. Setchell
dusted himself down to blast the penalty down the middle to level the scores at 1-1.
With the goal clearly boosting the Fenmen, a right-wing cross saw Michael Frew rise the
highest but his header from 15 yards went over the bar. At the other end, Martin played
a lovely ball to Fairley who crossed to Round who dallied on the ball too long allowing a
Wisbech defender to get a tackle in. With half time approaching, O’Sullivan blocked a
clearance which allowed Round to pull the ball back to Fairley, who saw his shot pushed
behind for a corner by Connell. From the corner, the ball wasn’t cleared and more good
defending from Wisbech saw a shot from Jack Blackford blocked for another corner. On
44 minutes an effort from the edge of the box from Eoin McQuaid drew a decent save
from Robert Dean.

Half time: Marske 1-1 Wisbech

The opening moments of the 2 nd half saw O’Sullivan and Craig Gott combine to set up
Chay Liddle who fired straight at Connell in the Wisbech goal. It was nearly 2-1 to
Marske on 56 minutes when Fairley sent Round clear and the ex-Whitby man got there
just before Connell and prodded the ball goalwards; the keeper got a decent touch on
the ball which allowed Jack Kebble to clear from just in front of the goal-line. With the
clock just past the hour mark, Marske made their first change with Owens replacing
Blackford, with Fairley switching to the right hand side of the front 3, allowing Owens to
play centrally. The first caution of the game arrived on 62 minutes. Referee Cann
awarded Marske a free kick for a foul on Liddle and cautioned Toby Hilliard for dissent.
From the ensuing free kick from Martin, Wheatley headed towards goal but Connell
saved with ease. Wheatley became the second player to enter the referee’s notebook
just a minute later for what was essentially a cumulation of fouls, and not just the most
recent one. Owens had a sight of goal on 74 minutes when Gott played a neat ball to
him and the striker turned his marker and fired a shot at goal but Connell saved well.
With 13 minutes left, Marske suffered a blow with Martin injured and unable to
continue, with David Hillerby replacing him at right back. At the same time, Wisbech’s
long serving midfielder Jonathan Fairweather was also receiving treatment after kicking
the foot of Round, and was also unable to continue and was replaced by Dylan Edge. On
83 minutes. Round appeared to make a fair tackle on Adam Millson, who went down and
referee Cann cautioned the unfortunate Marske player. With 5 minutes left, Marske
made their final change with Matty Waters replacing Gott, allowing the Seasiders to
switch to a 4-4-2 formation. On 87 minutes, a great run from Fairley was ended by a foul
by Setchell, who was duly booked. From the resulting free kick, 35 yards out,
Butterworth played it short and wide to Owens, 20 yards from goal, and the striker made
space to fire in a shot from just inside the box which squirmed under the body of the
otherwise impressive Connell, and into the net. The game ended 10 a side as referee
Cann dismissed two players in injury time. Round was first to go, for a second yellow
card, for a foul on Setchell, who went down with a scream, as both players seemed to
challenge for the ball with high feet. In the 3 rd minute of injury time, Setchell followed
Round down the tunnel, given a straight red card, somewhat harshly, for an elbow into
the back of the head of Liddle.

Full time: Marske 2-1 Wisbech

Marske got back to winning ways with a hard fought win over a battling Wisbech side.
While the performance was better than the one against Brighouse the previous Tuesday,
it failed to meet the standards set the previous Saturday at Stamford. Man of the Match,
by an overwhelming margin, was centre back Andrew May.

Team selection

Dean, Robert Dean, Robert
Martin, Callum Martin, Callum
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
Fairley, James Fairley, James
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Gott, Craig Gott, Craig
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Backford, Jack Backford, Jack
Liddle, Chay Liddle, Chay
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis

League round up

Other East Division results

AFC Mansfield
Stocksbridge Park Steels
Gresley FC
Sheffield FC
Loughborough Dynamo
Morpeth Town
Pickering Town


Loading comments

Club sponsors