Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Marske United
Brighouse Town
Tue 2 Apr 19:45 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Full time Attendance 165

Marske United 0-3 Brighouse Town


Marske’s slim play off hopes virtually evaporated on a night where nothing went right for the Seasiders, on or off the pitch.


Marske: Dean, Martin, O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Blackford, Gott (Waters),
Fairley, Liddle (Hillerby), Round (Carling)
Subs (not used): Clark, Watson

Porter, Jenkinson, Kendall, Hurtley, Edmonds-Green, Harris, Normanton
(Robinson), Heeley, Thomas (Martin), Johnson (Martindale), Williams
Subs (not used): Wright, Smith

After the superb 3-0 win at Stamford, it was no surprise to see manager Carl Jarrett
name an unchanged starting eleven. Off the field, a power cut which led to no
electricity in the home, away or match officials changing room, hospitality room, Neil’s
Kabin and the gate hut was a major issue but fortunately both teams and the match
referee, Craig Dean, were happy to play as there was no issue with the floodlights.
Thanks to local company JP Bragg Electrics the issue was fixed just after kick off
meaning that normal service was resumed, though not after a great deal of stress for the
hard working Marske United committee.

The game got off to a fairly even start. On seven minutes, Jack Normanton flashed a shot
across the face of goal before Marske countered an excellent run from Curtis Round
ended with a pull back to Glen Butterworth who saw his shot deflected for a corner,
which came to nothing. At the other end, a long shot from James Hurtley saw Robert
Dean save with ease. The away side took the lead on 21 minutes, when a right wing
corner was headed on for Kurt Harris to latch on to and slot past Dean. There was a
moment of confusion as the assistant referee raised his flag and promptly put it down
again once he realised that Harris wasn’t offside. Marske nearly found a quick equaliser
when the ball hit referee Dean and bounced straight to James Fairley, who turned inside
but shot just wide. At the other end, Normanton scuffed a shot wide when he should
have tested Dean before Brighouse keeper Jordan Porter was called into action for the
first time when a mazy run from Jack Blackford ended with the winger playing a lovely
through ball to Glen Butterworth who got there marginally before Porter but the keeper
saved and grabbed the ball at the second attempt. Marske came close to an equaliser 5
minutes before half time when Butterworth set up Craig Gott who saw his shot deflected
inches wide. Marske were pressing for a leveller as half time approached. First a short
Liam O’Sullivan throw to Fairley ended with the ball played back to the full back who
played a delightful cross to the back post where Andrew May headed the ball back into
the danger area but Porter got there first and clawed the ball away. In the 2 nd minute of
first half injury time, another great run from Blackford saw him race into the penalty
area, he could have gone down under a clumsy challenge but stayed on his feet and won
a corner which saw Adam Wheatley win a header under severe pressure, arguably illegal
pressure, but his effort hit a Brighouse defender and go out for another corner.

Half time: Marske 0-1 Brighouse

Marske started the second half promisingly. Neat skill from Round created a chance for
Fairley who cut inside but fired straight at Porter. At the other end a shot on the turn
from the tricky Tyler Williams went just wide before disaster struck for Marske on 54
minutes. A cross from the right from Gabriel Johnson saw Wheatley get to the ball first
but all he could do was slide the ball past Dean and into the net. Marske reacted by
making their first change of the night and moving to a 4-4-2 formation with Matty Waters
replacing Gott and partnering Fairley up front with Blackford and Round on each wing.
However, it made no difference and it was 3-0 on 63 minutes when a left wing corner
was flicked on at the front post and Wheatley glanced a header past Dean under
pressure from Harris. With 20 minutes left, David Hillerby replaced Chay Liddle but
Marske retained their shape. Chasing the game, Marske made their final change on 77
minutes with Round replaced by Leon Carling, who went up front, with Fairley and
Blackford switching wings. Fairley was involved straight away from the right hand side,
picking up a Carling pass but curling a shot inches wide with Porter beat. Porter was
called into action 2 minutes later when man of the match Blackford went on the outside
of Rhys Jenkinson but Porter spread himself to save well. It could and should have been
4-0 in the first minute of injury time when Dean saved superbly from substitute Jake
Martindale and fellow sub Aaron Martin somehow missed the target from the rebound
with the goal gaping.

Full time: Marske 0-3 Brighouse

This was a poor night for Marske against a strong Brighouse team who appeared fitter
than the home side, pressed Marske high up the pitch and thoroughly deserved their win,
which kept up their play off hopes. Marske man of the match, as chosen by the
Supporters’ Club went to Jack Blackford.

Team selection

Dean, Robert Dean, Robert
Martin, Callum Martin, Callum
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
Fairley, James Fairley, James
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Gott, Craig Gott, Craig
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Backford, Jack Backford, Jack
Liddle, Chay Liddle, Chay
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis

League round up

Other East Division results

AFC Mansfield
Morpeth Town


Loading comments

Club sponsors