Mon 19
Brighouse Town
First Team
Brighouse Town 0-1 Marske United - Match Report

Brighouse Town 0-1 Marske United - Match Report

By Joe Robertson
Share via

A superb defensive performance saw Marske get revenge for their defeats against Brighouse last season, as the Seasiders topped the embryonic Northern Premier League N/West table.


Brighouse: Porter, Wilkinson, Kendall, Grant, Harris, Hurtley, Jenkinson
(Robinson), Haigh, Ryan (Mintus), Stewart, Starkey (Khan)
Subs (not used): Lazenby, Church

Marske: Norton, Martin, May, Garbutt (Brockbank), Burgess, Wheatley, Stephenson
(Blackford), Maloney, Waters, Johnson, Round

With Liam O’Sullivan unavailable, Marske manager Carl Jarrett made two changes
to the starting eleven and also opted for a change in formation to 3-5-2 with
Andrew May moved back to his preferred position of centre back alongside Adam
Wheatley and Kevin Burgess. Curtis Round moved to left wing back with Mathew
Garbutt making his full debut in midfield along with Andrew Stephenson and Lewis
Maloney. Up front, Louis Johnson, also making his full debut, partnered Matty

In a frantic opening, the home side started the game the stronger. With Round out
of position, a cross-field ball saw Rhys Jenkinson free on the right but he was
unable to pick up the ball and it went out for a goal kick. On 3 minutes, a
Brighouse free kick was missed by Burgess, which allowed the home side to recycle
the ball, which was delivered to the back post where skipper Wheatley headed
away superbly. Marske’s first chance arrived on 6 minutes when Round met a
Stephenson cross but the wing back headed over. At the other end, a shot from
Mickey Starkey was well blocked by Callum Martin for a corner, which was cleared.
Marske had a half chance on 16 minutes when Johnson held the ball up well and
played in Maloney but Brighouse keeper Jordan Porter just got there first and
made a brave save. Brighouse came within inches of taking the lead on 18 minutes
when Carl Stewart cut inside and saw his shot graze the top of the bar. Three
minutes later Marske took the lead with Johnson instrumental in the build-up,
beating his man on the right and delivering a cross into the box aimed at Round. A
Brighouse defender got there first but only succeeded in clearing the ball as far as
Stephenson who stooped to head the ball into an empty net with Porter stranded.
Round was shown his second yellow card in as many matches on 25 minutes for a
late challenge on Thomas Haigh and he was deservedly booked by referee Jordan
Crossley. On 31 minutes, Marske had a great chance to make it 2-0 when a pinpoint
pass from Waters found Johnson but Porter made an excellent point blank save.
Moments later Stephenson fired over from a Garbutt pass as Marske dominated the
remainder of the half. On 38 minutes, a swift Marske break saw Waters and
Johnson hold the ball up well and combine to set up Garbutt who curled a shot
wide. The half ended with Stephenson flicking a header from a Round cross wide,
but Marske could be very satisfied with the first 45 minutes.

Half Time: Brighouse 0-1 Marske

The home side made a change at the start of the second half with Shiraz Khan,
who was at Ossett United last season, replacing Starkey. Brighouse started the
second half promisingly with Haigh trying his luck from distance, but his shot was
sliced wide. James Hurtley was the first Brighouse player booked when he was
cautioned for a foul on Waters. With Marske looking to play on the break, the next
chance came from a neat pass from Maloney who sent Johnson clear but his
progress was stopped on the edge of the box by a tackle from Hurtley, which the
referee deemed to be fair. Chasing the game, the home side made a second
change on 55 minutes with Darnell Mintus replacing Kieran Ryan. A minute later, a
pot shot from Stephenson went wide with Brighouse making their third and final
change with over 25 minutes of the game remaining with Jenkinson replaced by
Tom Robinson. Norton was called into action on 67 minutes when he saved a
looping header from Khan just under the crossbar. A minute later, Marske made
their first change with Stephenson replaced by Blackford. Though Brighouse were
having a lot of the ball, they were failing to test Norton in the Marske goal, which
was typified by a low shot from distance from Reece Kendall which went well
wide. On 73 minutes, pressure from Johnson forced a corner from Marske which
was cleared but the ball was recycled and delivered to the edge of the box where
Wheatley headed the ball down to Burgess, who screwed a low shot wide.
Defensively, Marske were standing strong and weren’t allowing Brighouse any
clear-cut chances. On 74 minutes, a long-range effort from substitute Robinson
went over the bar before Carl Stewart headed a right wing cross wide. With 5
minutes left, Marske made their second change with the hard-working Garbutt
replaced by Lee Brockbank, who took up the unusual role of central midfielder.
The home side piled on the pressure but the Marske central defensive trio of
Wheatley, Burgess and May held firm, with Burgess winning countless headers to
clear the danger. As the game entered 4 minutes of injury time, Marske were able
to keep the ball out of their penalty area for much of the time with the only real
action being a further caution for Brighouse, for Kendall for a foul on Johnson, who
had taking a real battering throughout the game.

Full Time: Brighouse 0-1 Marske

Marske secured a second successive 1-0 win thanks to a brilliant defensive
performance which limited Brighouse to only a couple of half chances. All of the
back three were immense with Kev Burgess arguably the pick of them. Further
forward, Lewis Maloney and Mathew Garbutt grafted all game, chasing down lost
causes and up front Louis Johnson had an excellent debut alongside Matty Waters,
who both did a great job holding the ball up allowing the midfielders and wing
backs to join in the play. A tough choice for man of the match, with my vote going
to Burgess.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 19, Aug 2019






North West Division

League position

Marske United
Brighouse Town