Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Middlesbrough U23/Reserves
Marske United
Tue 12 Mar 19:45 - North Riding Senior Cup 18-19 Full time Attendance 304

Marske United 3-1 Middlesbrough U23s - Match Report


Marske reached the North Riding Senior Cup for the first time in six seasons after a scintillating second half display saw the Seasiders beat Middlesbrough Under 23s.


Marske: Dean (Watson), Martin, O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Fairley
(Blackford), Gott, Liddle (Hillerby), Owens, Round
Subs (not used): Waters, Carling

Middlesbrough: Hemming, Spence, Reading, Ward, Dale, Charlton, Malley, Brahimi,
Curry, O’Neill, Fletcher
Subs (not used): Cornet, Essien, Gibson, McGill, Flatters

Marske manager Carl Jarrett named an unchanged team from the team that beat
Cleethorpes the previous Saturday lining up in a 4-3-3 formation. Boro named a
number of players with limited first team experience including Billal Brahimi and
Djed Spence as well as players with first team experience at Darlington and
Hartlepool in Zach Hemming and Tyrone O’Neill, himself a former Marske United

Marske created the first chance of the game on three minutes when superb skill from
Jamie Owens saw him beat two Boro defenders but his shot was superbly saved by
Hemming, the chance coming following great link up play involving Chay Liddle and
Craig Gott. Marske suffered a big blow on seven minutes when Marske keeper Robert
Dean saved well from Daniel Ward but exacerbated an injury that happened in the
warm up and was unable to continue. Following a long delay, Dean was replaced
by Marske goalkeeper coach Liam Watson. On 17 minutes a poor touch from Liam
O’Sullivan allowed Brahimi to steal the ball but Marske skipper Adam Wheatley got
across to make an excellent challenge which prevented Brahimi shooting. With the
wind behind them, Boro were in the ascendancy with Watson called into action for
the first time on 23 minutes. A poor back pass from Gott saw Mitchell Curry get to
the ball first but Watson was out quickly to save. However, Middlesbrough weren’t
to be denied and led a minute later when Isaac Fletcher picked up a loose ball and
smashed the ball into the top corner, beating Watson at his near post. Marske
countered and Owens outmuscled Nathan Dale and fired across the face of goal
with no-one there to apply the finishing touch. It was nearly 1-1 on 39 minutes
when a Marske corner was retrieved by Wheatley who forced the ball to Andrew
May who saw his shot well saved by the legs of Hemming. Two minutes later,
Brahimi saw a shot saved by the legs of Watson. In the third minute of first half injury
time, following Dean’s injury, Gott saw a shot take a slight deflection but
Hemming saved well as Marske went into the break happy to be just 1-0 down and
knowing they would have the wind behind them in the second half.

Half time: Marske 0-1 Boro

Just two minutes into the second half Marske had a great chance to draw level. A
long O’Sullivan throw in was flicked on by Wheatley to the unmarked Butterworth
who headed over from five yards. Minutes later a cross from James Fairley was met
by the head of May but Hemming made a routine save. However, Marske’s pressure
told and they equalised on 51 minutes though there was more than a hint of
fortune about it. Gott played a sublime pass out to Fairley, who saw his right wing
cross sail over the head of Hemming, hit the far post and nestle into the net. On
the hour mark, a slip from O’Sullivan allowed Curry to advance into the box and
round Watson but his shot from a tight angle was high and wide. On 62 minutes,
referee Chris Keightley booked Connor Malley, arguably Boro’s best player on the
night, for a foul on Curtis Round. The resulting free kick was taken by Butterworth
but sailed high over the bar. At the other end, Boro were awarded a free kick 25
yards from goal after O’Neill was fouled; however, the ensuing free kick was
nothing short of a disaster as Brahimi played the ball short to Patrick Reading who
saw his shot go closer to the corner flag than the goal. With the game approaching
the last 20 minutes, another O’Sullivan long throw caused chaos in the Boro
penalty area leading to Wheatley setting up Round who fired over the bar. Spence
was booked for a silly shove in the back on Round on 72 minutes and from the
resulting free kick Marske took the lead from the penalty spot, when Butterworth’s
set piece struck the hand of a Boro player and referee Keightley had no hesitation
in pointing to the spot. Gott stepped up to take the penalty and fired a superb
penalty past Hemming, who went the right way but couldn’t get a hand to the ball.
With 15 minutes left, Marske made their first change with Liddle replaced by David
Hillerby and three minutes later it was 3-1 to Marske with a quite outstanding goal
from Butterworth that will win the goal of the season award by far. Before
describing the goal, two people need acknowledging for their role in it. Firstly,
Fairley did superbly to chase and win the ball back and, secondly, after Fairley was
then fouled referee Keightley did brilliantly to play advantage as the loose ball
dropped to Butterworth who hit a first time shot from fully 35 yards which sailed
over Hemming and crashed off the underside of the bar and into the net, sparking
wild celebrations from the Marske players. With 11 minutes left, Marske made
their second change with Fairley replaced by Jack Blackford. With time running
out, a great run from midfield from Malley ended with the midfielder being fouled.
The ensuing free kick from Brahimi took a slight deflection off the wall and went
out for a corner. On 87 minutes, Owens tried a speculative shot from 45 yards
which went just wide. The last action of the game saw man of the match
Butterworth having a shot well saved by Hemming as Marske made the North Riding
Senior Cup Final where they will play Scarborough Athletic, as the Seasiders try
and win the trophy for just the second time.

Full time: Marske 3-1 Boro

Team selection

Dean, Robert Dean, Robert
Martin, Callum Martin, Callum
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
Fairley, James Fairley, James
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Gott, Craig Gott, Craig
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis
Liddle, Chay Liddle, Chay
Owens, Jamie Owens, Jamie


Loading comments

Club sponsors