Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marske United FC app


First Team - Match centre

Scarborough Athletic
Marske United
Scarborough Athletic win 3 - 2 on penalties. Thu 2 May 19:30 - North Riding Senior Cup 18-19 Full time Attendance 1,502

Marske United 2-2p Scarborough - Match Report + Photos


First and foremost, this was a great advert for Evo-Stik League football, with both teams contributing to a superb game of football. Marske could argue that they edged the game, with the harsh penalty decision just before half time a key moment.


Marske: Dean, Martin, O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley, Blackford (Fairley), Gott
(Waters), Liddle, Owens, Round
Subs (not used): Brockbank, Carling, Hillerby

Scarborough: Taylor, Johnson, Lacey, Watson, Burgess, Gooda, McNaughton (Dean),
Brooksby, Walshaw, Coulson, Lofts (Forrester)
Subs (not used): Merris, Valentine, Killock

Marske had a full strength squad to pick from with the exception of long term absentee
Brad Plant and manager Carl Jarrett opted for a 4-3-3 formation with Callum Martin
returning to the team at right back. With Glen Butterworth’s suspension not covering the
County Cup, he lined up as the attacking midfielder behind Chay Liddle and Craig Gott,
who passed a late fitness test. Up front, Curtis Round and Jack Blackford played either
side of Jamie Owens, who led the line. Matty Waters was a little unfortunate to only be
on the bench, following impressive recent performances against Ossett United and
Carlton Town.On the expected carpet of a pitch, it was Marske who were clearly the better side in the
opening exchanges. On 8 minutes, Butterworth played a lovely through ball to Blackford
who got goalside of Josh Lacey but Boro keeper Tommy Taylor was equal to his effort
saving well. A minute later, Scarborough had their first sight of goal but Robert Dean
saved with ease from James Walshaw. The opening exchanges were end to end with
Owens next to try his luck, shooting wide after retrieving the ball and exchanging passes
with Round. Marske came close to breaking the deadlock on 17 minutes when Liam
O’Sullivan played a delightful ball into the path of Liddle who saw his shot superbly
saved by Taylor; the rebound landed at the feet of Liddle who shot towards goal again,
but a Scarborough head cleared the danger. Marske were dominating and next to have a
shot was Butterworth, who picked up a short O’Sullivan throw-in but his shot went high
over the bar. At the other end, a low 20 yard effort from Michael Coulson was grabbed
by Dean at the second attempt before Marske had another golden chance to take the
lead on 25 minutes. Gott played a sublime pass into the feet of Round who raced into
the box but Taylor was equal to his effort, saving with his legs. However, the Seasiders
weren’t to be denied and took the lead on 26 minutes. A trademark long throw from
O’Sullivan caused chaos in the Scarborough box with skipper Adam Wheatley heading the
ball on at the near post, the ball dropped to Owens who swivelled and fired into the
bottom corner of the net. On 35 minutes, Liddle was somewhat harshly penalised for a
foul, 35 yards from goal. Ryan Watson stepped up to take the resulting free kick, hitting
a sweet shot which Dean did well to hold. Scarborough were stepping up the pressure
and another foul by Liddle, this time on Coulson, saw Scarborough awarded a free kick,
wide left 25 yards from goal. The free kick was headed towards goal but Dean saved
well. With just 3 minutes until half time, Boro were awarded a penalty in controversial
circumstances. Wheatley didn’t appear to make any challenge on Walshaw, who went
down after his leg made contact with Wheatley’s. However, referee James Unwin saw it
differently and awarded a spot kick. Walshaw stepped up to take it but Dean saved well;
unfortunately for Marske the striker, joint top scorer in the Evo-Stik league Premier
Division, was on hand to put the rebound home as the teams went into the break with
the score level at 1-1.

Half Time: Marske United 1-1 Scarborough Athletic

Scarborough made a change at the start of the 2 nd half with Luke Dean replacing Flynn
McNaughton and the opening exchanges saw Boro step up a gear as they dominated the
opening exchanges. Other than Blackford seeing a shot deflected for a corner following a
great run after a Butterworth pass, Boro had chances to take the lead. First, a low shot
from Coulson went just wide and then Round made a truly superb challenge on Watson,

just as he was about to shoot. With the clock showing 61 minutes, Scarborough took the
lead. A shot from the edge of the box from Wayne Brooksby was parried by Dean and
Coulson was on hand to slot home the rebound with Marske appealing in vain for offside.
2-1 down and up against a team from a division higher, many would have thought it was
game over. Not the Marske players who put up a real fight and dominated much of the
remainder of the game. On 66 minutes, Blackford was replaced by James Fairley and the
winger was soon in the action seeing a shot deflected for a corner. On 73 minutes Marske
drew level with a superb goal from Gott. With Luke Lofts down injured, appearing to
twist his knee with no-one near him, O’Sullivan passed to Gott who advanced into the
box and curled a delightful low shot past Taylor and into the far corner. Walshaw took
exception to Marske playing on, as they were entitled to do, and was booked for an
altercation with a number of Marske players near the benches. Gott, who had been a
pre-match doubt, was substituted on 77 minutes, to a tremendous round of applause
from the Marske faithful, with Matty Waters replacing him as Marske switched to a 4-2-3-
1 formation with Waters playing behind Owens. Waters was straight into the action,
picking up a pass from Martin and curling a lovely cross into the path of the advancing
Round who controlled the ball with his chest and fired just wide. Scarborough reacted
and made a second change with Jamie Forrester replacing Lofts. Marske continued to
press with an Owens header easily saved by Taylor. Forrester was then harshly cautioned
for a foul on Round and Martin suffered the same fate, again harshly. On 88 minutes
Owens played in Round who saw his shot tipped over the bar by Taylor. As the game
entered 4 minutes of injury time, Dean was the Marske hero, making a superb point
blank stop from Coulson, with May on hand to put his body on the line and block the
rebound. But neither side could break the deadlock and the game went to the lottery of

Marske took the first penalty with Butterworth stepping up to take; his penalty was well
hit but Taylor saved well. Walshaw was first for Boro and unlike in normal time made no
mistake. The pressure was on Waters, who made no mistake with an excellent penalty.
Coulson then sent Dean the wrong way to make it 2-1 to Boro. Dean, a regular penalty
taker in shoot outs for Marske in previous seasons, was next to take but Taylor saved
meaning Marske were on the brink of defeat if Bailey Gooda scored. However, his weak
penalty was easily saved by Dean. Martin was next to step up and scored to make it 2-2,
with Scarborough having taken one less penalty. Next up was Brooksby who scored
meaning Round had to score to prolong the shoot out. However, Taylor made a great
save, his third of the shoot out, meaning Scarborough ran out 3-2 winners.

Full time: Marske 2-2 Scarborough (Scarborough win 3-2 on penalties)

First and foremost, this was a great advert for Evo-Stik League football, with both teams
contributing to a superb game of football. Marske could argue that they edged the
game, with the harsh penalty decision just before half time a key moment. Every single
player contributed to the team performance with stand out players being Chay Liddle,
Craig Gott, Liam O’Sullivan (my choice for man of the match) and Andrew May.

Team selection

Dean, Robert Dean, Robert
Martin, Callum Martin, Callum
O'Sullivan, Liam O'Sullivan, Liam
Backford, Jack Backford, Jack
May, Andrew May, Andrew
Wheatley (C), Adam Wheatley (C), Adam
Liddle, Chay Liddle, Chay
Gott, Craig Gott, Craig
Round, Curtis Round, Curtis
Butterworth, Glen Butterworth, Glen
Owens, Jamie Owens, Jamie


Loading comments

Club sponsors